Driftwood Journals – A Travel Blog by Ben Holbrook
Exploring the world through responsible travel – discovering, celebrating and preserving local traditions, culture and gastronomy.
Interested in working with me? Click here.
Hi! My name’s Ben Holbrook and I’m a Barcelona-based travel writer and photographer from the UK.
I set up this travel blog after moving to Barcelona in 2009 and falling head over heels in love with the food, people and culture of Spain.
Although most of my work over the last few years has been related to Spain and other parts of Europe, I now travel far and wide. Just me, an open mind and my camera.
My Travel Ethos
I’m fascinated by local traditions and cultural quirks and believe travel can be a force for good.
I believe that through responsible travel we can celebrate and preserve the unique elements that make each destination so special.
And that’s what I aim to do – with emotive writing and compelling photography.
For me, travel, culture and gastronomy is not simply a way to relax and escape our own reality, but also a way to find put ourselves in someone else’s shoes, to grow as individuals, and hopefully as a species.
Driftwood Journals is more than just a travel blog. It’s a sacred place where I can share the experiences, people and places that fill me with joy as I discover the best of this beautiful planet we all share.
My Freelance Work
As a freelance travel writer and photographer I have also contributed to global travel publications like National Geographic, Telegraph Travel, The Times, EasyJet Traveller Magazine, Ryanair, Singapore Airlines, Sri Lanka Airlines, Barcelona.com, Miniguide BCN, Elsewhere and many others.
How I Got Hooked on Travel – My inspiration
As a child, both of my parents worked in the travel industry and it was normal for me to travel five or six times a year. Sometimes even more.
My dad and I would go sailing in Turkey. We’d row ashore to haggle with the locals and hunt out the local cuisine. It was all about discovering something new, something different, something real.
I have such fond memories of us strolling around the coast of the Greek islands in our speedos, with our chests puffed out and our sunburnt shoulders shrugged back. My father’s insatiable lust for life made every day an adventure and I’d wake up brimming with excitement and anticipation.
He’d say, “You’ve got to try everything at least once, see son. If you ever get the opportunity to experience something new, just try it! You’ll regret it if you don’t.”
Sometimes I’d go into work with my mum at the travel agency and she’d get me stamping travel brochures. I’d sit for hours flicking through them, taking my favourites home to add to my library. When other kids were reading comics, I’d be reading about scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef or riding Vespas in Rome, dreaming of my next trip and all the wonderful things I was yet to experience.
Sadly, my dad died in a freak accident when I was twelve and I was mortified to lose my best friend and travel buddy. I still think of him every time I explore new cultures, as I search for the places where the locals go.
And I think to myself: Don’t worry, dad, there’ll be no regrets when I’m done.
I hope my travel writing and photography will help you…
- Enjoy authentic and meaningful travel experiences.
- Tune in to the local way of life. Not just to see, but to actually understand.
- Find the best places to eat and drink around the world (especially in Barcelona and the rest of Spain and Europe). I’m obsessed with hunting out authentic culinary experiences and going to the places the locals go. What better way to get a real taste of a new culture and support the local economy!
- Discover more than the average tourist and experience more for your money.
- Travel safely, comfortably and confidently with dependable hotel reviews and recommended accommodation providers.
- Feel inspired to explore the world!
Work with Me
See published examples of my freelance travel writing here:
- National Geographic ~ No explanation needed
- Telegraph Travel ~ One of the UK’s leading newspapers
- Ryanair ~ Europe’s leading budget airline
- Elsewhere ~ A leading travel publication in Australia
- Barcelona edition of The HUNT Guides
- Barcelona edition of The Precincts, published by Hardie Grant Books.
You can email me directly at ben(at)driftwoodjournals.com to discuss how we can get the best out of a professional collaboration.